Today in this digital era every business needs exceptional software solutions to be outstanding in the market. Software being a service is a giant industry. Finding a compatible software solution for your business can be so overwhelming sometimes. There are many factors to keep in mind during the selection process of software solutions. The most important factor is that either the person should use custom software or off-the-shelf software. As every option has its own merits and demerits. Sometimes the off-the-shelf software can do the trick while other times custom software is needed. The selection process isn’t that easy as it is going to affect your business for several years. Here in this blog were trying to make things simpler for you.
But first let’s take a look at what these two software solutions are:
Custom software development solutions
As the name says, these types of software are prepared on a person’s personal demand to help in achieving specific business goals. This software is not available online for you to buy and deploy across your company.
This software is highly specialized as to develop this software the person needs to get in touch with a custom software development company. They will carefully understand and analyze your business’s particular needs and propose custom software according to your specifics.
Pros of custom made software solutions
- Developing custom software allows the person to add features according to business needs and also eliminates unnecessary features. This helps a person and his team to work without getting distracted and the final product is free from any complexities and can help in adoption across organizations.
- The most important is that the custom software is developed based on the precise requirement and specifications. This allows the finished product to seamlessly integrate with your system without any alteration.
- As your organization’s internal needs evolve, you expand your workplace and add new processes. Alter its features and set it up according to better adaptation to these developments.
- The complete owner of your custom software. You don’t have to worry about aspects like how it’s used, how it’s evolved. Most importantly you don’t have to worry about a third party changing terms and conditions of the software or making an upgrade on it, also simply ending support for your software, no license or hidden cost.
- As your custom software develops to address the unique business challenge or what say problem. This will increase the pace of growth of the business, more reliable in terms of performance, and cost-saving. Also only you have access to this unique software so your competition would likely be decreased.
- Custom software provides you with new business opportunities as you can sell your software to other companies when they are in need.
Cons of custom made software solutions
- The major con of choosing a custom software solution is that the initial investment can be so high which makes it impossible for the small business to opt for this solution.
- The developmental process of custom software takes time. It may range from months to years depending on the size of the software. So if you need to deploy a custom solution the next day then this won’t be a possible solution.
- Most of the time companies can’t predict whether the software will work for the problem or not. However, Custom software vendors offer a demo but they are the trailer of that final product, not the actual product.
Off-the-shelf software solutions
Off-the-shelf solutions contain off-the-shelf software or off-the-shelf software. They are already made software available online. Companies can buy and subscribe to it when in need. They are often used for relatively general business problems and target a wide audience across the globe.
off-the-shelf software has multiple editions, providing users some flexibility to choose over price and features. However, customization is also possible in some cases.
Pros of off-the-shelf software development
- off-the-shelf software is produced to entertain a wider audience since they come at affordable prices, also the cost does not have to be restricted to one person or the company.
- Much off-the-shelf software is available online; you just have to sort out the best match for your query. You can easily deploy and run this software within a matter of time.
- The off-the-shelf software vendor provides ongoing support to the software. Companies can check the reviews and forums to see whether the people like it or not. Also, it will work for your project or not.
- The off-the-shelf software allows you the opportunity to take a trial demo version so you can check the result without even buying it.
Cons of off-the-shelf software solutions
- Well, off-the-shelf software develops to overcome general queries. It will not satisfy your personal demand. off-the-shelf can lack features, besides may include redundant features which hinder your productivity, use system resources, and make adoption difficult.
- Companies may purchase off-the-shelf software at a low price. But it will rack up quite a bill as you continue using it. As the software is not yours so you have to buy a subscription and pay for licensing besides you have to pay for additional features and ongoing maintenance and support charges.
- The off-the-shelf software vendor develops this software for use as-is. The company cannot customize or alter it according to its need. However in some software, if the customization is available then the vendor will charge an extreme amount for alteration which makes the company neglect this option.
- However off-the-shelf software is used by the whole world so there is no space for innovation and businesses compete through similar strategies which makes it harder to rank in the market. Everyone is familiar with your capabilities, strategies, and limitations. The ground is fairly similar and easily implementable.
Custom or off-the-shelf?
Which one to choose?
Above you see the pros and cons of both the solutions. You can easily understand that there is no solution for one-size-fit. You need to understand your needs, your limits, and your consequences. However, a little searching can help you get to your desired solution.
Here are a few things to consider during the process of searching.
Start off by clearly understanding that your solution can easily be done by off-the-shelf solutions or not. Can a little customization do a job or not. Then turn into a fully customized software development solution.
Time & money
The two factors are time and money. You need to evaluate how urgently you have to respond to that query and then you need to make sure about your financial condition. Taking this step seriously really helps you out in selecting the best solutions for your business.
Involvement & control
It’s your decision how much control you want over your software and how much time would you likely be investing in the development of that particular software. Would it really matter to you or would you like someone else to really care about this?
Adoption & implementation
Well, it is totally based on your in-house team that how fast they adapt to new software and implement this software in your business. Because adaptation and implementation may take a serious amount of time and effort.
When to choose custom software solutions?
Simply you should go for a custom software solution when:
- You have a unique query to address and no off-the-shelf software will satisfy your needs.
- You’re trying to be unique and want to stand out of the line.
- Trying to be innovative.
- Require a solution that will handle your current and future problems.
- Having full control over software development and its features.
- Must have the budget as well as time for software development.
When to choose off-the-shelf software solutions?
Simply you should go for an off-the-shelf software solution when:
- The problem isn’t that complex and can be solved through general software or off-the-shelf software.
- Your business financial state is not stable.
- Your in-house team is skilled and can easily adapt to new software and implement them in your business.
- You want an urgent response to your problem.
- You have no issue of not having control over the features of the software.
Both of these solutions work in their respective ways. You have to select what solution will work best for your business and last long as described in detail in the above knowledge base. If you consider the above points for selecting the solution then they’re more than enough.